I don’t have a gluten allergy nor do I suffer from celiac disease. Thank goodness because it would suck living without wheat. Wheat is in everything! However I do have friends that think they have a wheat allergy but they’re really just trying to be special. One of them really does suffer from celiac disease.
A potluck that just recently last weekend was an opportunity to show that I do care about those in the gluten free category. I was responsible for dessert, I made a delicious Gluten Free Cloud Cheesecake.
Fluffy, light and not too sweet – its fun to make and your friends will love it!
125g cream cheese, it’s okay to add 25g more!
40ml Canola or Corn oil
60ml Full or Light Milk (Don’t use Trim)
30g sifted corn flour/starch
25g castor sugar
3 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
20ml lemon/lime juice
50g castor sugar
- Melt the Cream cheese with sugar and oil in a double boiler
- When melted, add the milk and whisk until its smooth
- Whisk in the Egg yolks, one at a time
- Add the corn flour
- Add the lemon/lime juice
- (MAKING THE MERINGUE) In a separate bowl, beat egg whites
- Add the 50g sugar and beat with egg whites until soft peaks form
- Add one third of the meringue
- Fold gently to combine
- Keep adding the other two thirds until the meringue is all used up
- Pour the batter into a pan (at least 18cm in diameter)
- Tap the pan to get rid of any air bubbles
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 150 degree Celsius for 85 minutes in a water bath.
- Eat and Enjoy!
I love making this cheesecake now as its not too hard to make and it makes a light cheesecake that is so scrumptious to eat! Its called a cloud cheesecake because of just how fluffy and airy the texture is when you bite into it!